Sunday, January 23, 2011

We have officially survived year one!


This time last year I was waddling my way to a prenatal appointment, trying not to slip on the ice. On the way out the door I had my mom snap a photo of me in all my glorious belly bliss. These will be treasured snapshots because: a) I had makeup on, and b) at that routine appointment I found out I was actually in labor. From a 10 a.m. check-up to two newborns before lunch, my whirlwind of a year began.

I have always heard that motherhood gets easier after the first, I’m pretty sure that is assuming that the second doesn’t also include a third bonus baby. Twins aren’t easy, but they’re not as hard as I feared. I’m sure there are many examples of moms who actually do this gracefully. Clumsy as it may have been, I survived the first year.

As a souvenir of my pregnancy I have maintained approximately half of the baby weight, and twice as many stretch marks. I figure that the babies are accustomed to the finer things in life, and so it is only appropriate that I maintain plush muffin tops for them to rest their booties on as they cling on each hip. The stretch marks, well, I’m not sure what purpose they serve. But if I ever decide to go as a tiger for Halloween I’ve got a sweet abdominal template.

Brooklyn was born first, older by an entire minute, she has definitely taken the ‘big sister’ role pretty seriously. She loves to show Aidan who’s boss. Aidan is a little more shy, but has a devious sparkle in his eyes and his adorable smirk. When they say “double trouble” they mean it. Between the two of them, they have twenty toes, twenty fingers, twelve teeth and two personalities that fill every room they enter.

I am so grateful for all of the challenges I have experienced and the blessings I’ve gained. I try to make these columns relate-able, but I also know that many of you are parents and understand my need to gush. These two additions have enhanced my life in ways I will never be able to express.

I get a little misty eyed when I see expecting mommies with that glow, no matter how uncomfortable they appear to be at the moment. There is something beautiful about a pregnant mom, and I am in such awe every time I see a new baby welcomed into the world. It amazes me how all of the fingers, toes, bones and organs manage to wind up in the right places at the right size. I will never grasp how all of these systems function properly. Because of that I am reminded just how perfect and exceptional each and every child is, even the naughty ones.









No comments:

Post a Comment